Hello my fellow travellers,
Today, I stood out of my comfort zone and tried my first non-pasta Italian dish. I feel like I’ve accomplished a lot. This chicken in basil sauce recipe is so easy and delicious that I think it will now become one of my staple recipes for how to cook chicken breast. The flavours meld together in a swirl of parmesan cheese, fresh basil, and chicken broth with a hint of pepper. Amazing, amazing, amazing!
I found the recipe on Big Oven and tweaked it slightly.
Chicken in basil sauce with a side of quinoa salad
I’m extremely pleased with the way this dish turned out and just love all the flavours that work so wonderfully together. This chicken recipe is definitely going into my recipe box!
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 pound boneless chicken breast; 4 halves (generally 2 pieces of breast sliced horizontally)
4-5 tbsp butter
1 cup heavy cream (35%)
1/2 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup basil, chopped
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
Chicken Broth (recipe calls for 1/2 cup, this makes about 3-4 cups – leftovers are good!)
1/2 purple onion, chopped
1 chicken thigh
0.75-1 liter water
pepper, to taste
salt, to taste
- First make broth – add water to a sauce pan, add chicken, pepper, salt, and onion. Let the water come to a boil and then place it on medium-low heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked. I love using the chicken for chicken sandwiches.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put milk and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes. Soak chicken breast pieces individually in milk and then coat in crumbs.
- Fry in a skillet with butter on medium heat – 5 minutes each side or til the chicken is golden brown and crisp/spring to the touch. Remove from skillet and wrap in foil placed on a baking dish. Put the chicken in the oven for 10-15 more minutes to cook thoroughly.
- For the sauce, pour the broth in a sauce pan over high heat till the broth boils. Lower heat to medium and add heavy cream, tomatoes, and stir for a 1-2 minutes. Reduce to medium-low heat and add parmesan cheese, fresh basil, salt, and pepper.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve with a side of rice or salad.