Hello my fellow travelers,
Today’s recipe was an experimentation of sorts. I made lasagna a few weeks back (in typical layered fashion) and decided to try a different variation a week later. Although my lasagna roll ups decided to spread into squares while baking, they made great little sections perfect for serving. Traditional lasagna usually cuts up in sloppy squares though of course, looks are not everything because these tasted awesome!
Kind of a roll up?
The best part about the lasagna is the sauce. I let it simmer for a good hour, which I believe is it what really gives it the characteristic Italian flavor. Plus fresh basil and parsley don’t hurt.
1 small onion
4 garlic cloves, crushed
28 oz. canned crushed tomatoes (organic, bpa free)
8 oz. tomato paste can (organic, bpa free)
1 lb organic ground beef
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
4 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
2-3 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup water
450 g ricotta cheese, (I like Silani brand)
2 tbsp parsley
400 g mozzarella cheese, shredded
200 g parmesan cheese, shredded
12 lasagna noodles
- For the sauce, take a large dutch oven and fry onion, garlic, and beef until beef is slightly brown. Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, spices, basil, and parsley. Add 1/2 cup of water to thin out the sauce. Let boil and reduce to simmer for at least an hour.
- Take lasagna noodles and place in tray or large bowl of very hot water. Leave the noodles in for 20-30 minutes. No need to boil them and dirty another pot! The lasagna noodles will cook in the oven. In mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg and parsley.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Once lasagna noodles are soft, lay them on paper towels. Spread a spoon ladle of sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 glass tray (I actually put 9 rolls in a 8×8 pan and 3 in a 9×5 glass loaf pan). Spread a tablespoon of the ricotta mixture on the lasagna noodles, the sauce on top, parmesan, and mozzarella. Roll up the lasagna and place seam down in the glass tray.
- Once all the lasagna roll ups is laid out in the tray top with the rest of the leftover sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes with foil on top of the tray making sure the foil doesn’t touch the cheese. Cool for 15 minutes.