Hello my fellow travellers,
Hosting a brunch sounds easy but menu planning is a bit more difficult. You want to serve foods that are perfect for either lunch or breakfast. Generally brunch items consist of muffins, quiches, croissants, and other light foods. Instead of heading to the store to pick up a box of croissants, why not make your own homemade version for half the price?
This recipe is incredibly simple to make and you will most likely have the ingredients on hand. You can either make a crescent shape (the conventional) or square shaped croissant.
Either way, these tasty little treats will make a great edition to any brunch.
450 g butter puff pastry (I used PC brand) – There are 2 sheets inside.
Jar of nutella
Egg wash (1 egg whisked with 1 tbsp water)
- If pastry is frozen, thaw overnight in fridge or leave out for 2 hours before prep. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Unroll pastry onto a slightly floured surface. With a rolling pin increase the size of the pastry by a little on each side (1/2 inch to 1 inch). Cut the pastry into four equal squares. You will have 4 boxes.
- For crescent shape: Cut 1 box diagonally so you have a triangle. Take 1 triangle and slightly stretch with your hands on the bottom. Take 1 tbsp of nutella and dollop on the longer side that is towards you. Brush egg wash on all three sides and roll upwards (from the bottom side towards the top) making sure to pinch the seam. You will then have a crescent shape. Tuck the edges and place on baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- For square shape: Using the second sheet of pastry, repeat step 2. Then cut 1 box vertically. Take the newly cut rectangle and place sideways in front of you. Place 1 tbsp of nutella in the center. Brush egg wash all along the 4 sides and fold one side to the other (like turning a page). Press the seams down and use a fork to make a pattern around the edge.
- Brush egg wash on top of all the croissants and bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Mine were ready in 10.
Question of the day:
What is your favorite brunch food item you cannot serve without?
Let me know in the comment section below.