This orange and blueberry muffin (flavors of summer when you get fresh of everything!) combines fresh orange juice, orange zest, and a heaping bowl of blueberries. The muffins are also LOW in sugar, like really low. Recipe adapted from here.
The muffins greatly compliment any suhoor meal because they’re packed with anti-oxidants, fresh orange flavor, and made with whole wheat.
3/4 cup unbleached pastry flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 organic eggs
2 tbsp maple syrup
4 tsp organic sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tbsp orange zest
1 cup fresh blueberries (or frozen)
1. Preheat oven to 400 celsius. Line muffin pan with cupcake cups.
2. Mix dry ingredients: flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder.
3. Mix wet ingredients: eggs, sugar, maple syrup, coconut oil, and orange juice.
4. Slowly add dry flour mix to wet ingredients until just combined (its okay if you see some flour bits). Make sure you DO NOT overmix or you will have a tough muffin.
5. Add orange zest and slowly fold.
6. Drop 2 tbsp mixture into cups. Press blueberries into the top of the batter. Bake for 13-17 minutes and check doneness with toothpick (comes out clean).