Hello my fellow travellers,
I always get excited when I have 2-3 blackening bananas on my countertop. Albeit they look super gross I get excited because I can make awesome baked goodies. The bananas are at ultimate ripeness and a 100x sweeter. You can make cakes, pancakes, cupcakes, blondies, and the list goes on. I decided to make a semi-healthy banana muffins with a crumbly top.
I must admit, these are some of the most moist muffins I’ve ever made. Unbelievably delicious!
The recipe is super easy to make and I whipped up a batch in about 45 minutes. The best part is how amazing the house smells — like a tropical island :).
Moist inside and crunchy outside. Best of both worlds.
If you get to try this recipe, let me know what you thought? Also, if you have any suggestions on what else I can make, leave it in the comments below.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 bananas mashed (I used medium)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, cold
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees celsius. Grease 10 muffin cups or line with muffin papers.
2. Combine wet ingredients in bowl of your stand mixer with paddle attachment (or in a large bowl with spatula) – banana puree, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and melted butter. In a medium bowl mix dry ingredients with a whisk – flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Slowly incorporate flour into wet mixture. Spoon batter into cups.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, all-purpose flour, and cinnamon. Cut in the tablespoon of butter with a fork until crumb topping resembles coarse sand/cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins (don’t worry, the topping won’t sink).
4. Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes. Mine came out perfect at 18 minutes. Toothpick inserted in center of muffin should come out clean.